Kansas City International Academy welcomes all volunteers and greatly values the time and talents they so willingly share with our students and school community. KCIA volunteers support the academic and enrichment needs of our students and staff.
We are currently looking for volunteers for our location at 414 Wallace Avenue, KCMO. We are located two blocks east of the intersection of I-435 and Independence Avenue. The hours are flexible within the 9-3 school day.
The following is a list of our current Volunteer Opportunities:
- Classroom Volunteer/Tutor* – Assist the classroom teacher by working with students individually or in small groups supporting their reading, writing, math skills and/or computer skills
- Mentor* – Meet regularly with a KCIA student and serve as a role model and friend supporting the student in his/her achievements, challenges and success
- Caring Closet Volunteer – Assist in processing, stocking and organizing in-kind donations
- Special Events / Projects – Individuals, large and small groups are needed throughout the school year to support our school community through one-time projects and special events
- Special Talents to Share – Let us know if you have a special talent or skill that you would like to share with our students and staff.
*All classroom, mentor and library volunteers are required to submit and pass a background screening prior to start of service.
Time Commitment: Please note that the time commitment varies depending on the volunteer position; however, the minimum commitment for classroom, mentor and library volunteers is 4 hours a month.
The process to volunteer in the classroom, library or to become a mentor is the following:
- Fill out the application and background check form
- Meet with the Volunteer Coordinator
- Once the background check is returned, and a volunteer orientation is completed … begin volunteering!
Other ways to support our KCIA community
Kansas City International Academy welcomes community support through our on-going need for in-kind donations to supply our Caring Closet. Our current needs include the following:
- New or gently worn student shirts, pants, sweaters, coats, and shoes (Please note that our students range in age from kindergarten through 8th grade, so we accept all size ranges)
- New undergarments or socks (Please note that we cannot accept used undergarments of any kind or size)
- Personal hygiene products